Monday, February 16, 2009

Arlen Specter- Did You Really Say That??

In a stimulus shoot-out with radio talk show host Laura Ingraham, Arlen Specter seems to have very short memory. Here is the transcript from that discussion.

LAURA INGRAHAM, RADIO TALK SHOW HOST: Is it nice to be wined and dined at the White House? You are treated pretty well when you are a Republican bucking other Republicans.

SEN. ARLEN SPECTER, R-PENN.: Let's get off it, Laura. I'm not drinking any wine at the White House and I don't dine at the White House. If the president wants to talk to me, I talk to him and I make my own independent judgments. Don't give me the wine and dine bologna, young lady.


Hmmmm..interesting, very interesting. Senator Specter was trying to secure an increase in funding for the National Institutes of Health and their research. Even lobbyists were stunned by the coup Mr. Specter pulled off in the final version of the Porkulus Spendulous plan. He was only one of the three GOP Amigo votes in the Senate. For that vote he was able to secure a 34 percent increase in the health agency’s budget — to $39 billion from $29 billion. How that increase will brings jobs to Pennsylvania remains to be seen.

Here is what the New York Times is reporting on the Super Bowl party that led Laura Ingraham to make that accusation.

How Mr. Specter managed his coup is a story of tough bargaining that began in a legislative backroom and took an important turn at a presidential Super Bowl party.

Democrats began to press Mr. Specter, saying he would get the $10 billion increase only if he promised to vote for the eventual bill. Mr. Specter pushed back, saying he was concerned about the size of the bill and its mix of tax credits and spending.

“I really do not make deals,” he said. And while he had promised Mr. Durbin nothing, the Illinois senator had made him a promise. As Mr. Durbin recalled, at a Super Bowl party at the White House on Feb. 1, “I told him, ‘I’m keeping my word.’ ”

More hard bargaining was ahead. Mr. Specter’s support was in doubt until the very end. And once he voted for the bill, Mr. Durbin said that he made sure that the additional $10 billion for the N.I.H. was protected in conference negotiations with the House.


I would call that wining and dining, wouldn't you? Before you answer tell me the last time you were invited to the White House for a Super Bowl Party? Kanjo, eat your heart out. You gave up your vote for nothing.

BTW, here's what Arlen's personal research has concluded as far as important lifestyle changes that must occur. he swore off eating cake. He has eliminated sugar and white bread from his diet because he fears that they encourage cancer’s growth. (He briefly gave up martinis last year, but was relieved when a blood test showed no improvement.) I hope the National Institute of Health spends its money on better research.

No comments: